Difference Between IELTS Academic and IELTS General
The International English Language Testing System, or IELTS, is an international standardized test of English language proficiency for non-native English language speakers. It is managed by the IDP: IELTS Australia, and Cambridge Assessment English, and was established in 1989. IELTS is one of the major English-language tests in the world.
IELTS is accepted by most Australian, British, Canadian, European, Irish, and New Zealand academic institutions, by over 3,000 academic institutions in the United States, and by various professional organizations across the world.
IELTS is the only Secure English Language Test approved by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) for visa customers applying both outside and inside the UK. It also meets requirements for immigration to Australia, where the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic are also accepted, and in New Zealand. In Canada, IELTS, TEF, or CELPIP are accepted by the immigration authority.
There are three reasons why you should take the IELTS
- Work: If you’re hoping to pursue a career in an English speaking country, you first need to obtain a visa that permits you to do so. One of the steps in obtaining a visa is providing evidence that you are proficient in the English language.
If you want to succeed in your career, language skills are essential and by taking the IELTS, you’ll be fully prepared. Each country requires a certain score on the IELTS, for example, in the UK, applicants must score at least 6.5 on each of the four components of the test (Reading, Speaking, Listening, and Writing). And different occupations have different requirements too, with some demanding a higher score than others.
- Study: Many English speaking universities require international students to take the IELTS as a condition of their initial application and acceptance. If you’re looking to do an undergraduate or postgraduate course that is taught in English, an IELTS can not only help you get on the course but will also help you to succeed within your studies. The better your English language skills, the better you’ll do on your course.
- Immigration: If you would like to obtain citizenship in an English speaking country, many countries require good English in order for you to obtain permanent residence. Knowing the language of your country is a great indicator of how well you will integrate and how likely you are to successfully work in said country.
IELTS Academic is for students who are looking to go abroad for post-secondary studies. Medium of instruction is English. For instance if you want to study in a Canadian college or Canadian university, you have to submit an Academic IELTS test score for application. After getting the desired band score you are eligible to apply to college or university.
IELTS Academic Training Is For:
- Academic purposes – Candidates who want to apply in Universities of the UK, the USA, Australia, or the county where English is considered as the main language.
- Training Institutes – Doctors, Pharmacists, Nurses and Pathologists require more band scores.
- Multinational companies – Accounting, Engineering & Law
- Government departments – International firms e.g. marine engineering, accounting, educational institutes.
IELTS General is specifically for those candidates who are thinking about general immigration to countries such as Canada, USA, Australia, and the UK. This test is required by most of the companies abroad to determine the ability of the foreign hires in English. It is basically taken into consideration for testing your English-speaking abilities in everyday situations and events like social & work environments.
IELTS General Training Is A Requirement For:
- Immigration purposes – IELTS General is required for visa purposes in order to work and live in those countries such as Canada, Australia, UK, USA, New Zealand.
- Employment – For getting employment in those countries that require a Language certificate in order to apply for a job or for a promotion e.g. government departments.
- Promotion purposes – IELTS General helps you get a better job or a promotion in your home country.
- General immigration- Your close family members.
IELTS Academic vs. IELTS General – Difference In Content
Basically, the listening and Speaking sections of both tests are the same. If we talk about the test format, the topics and questions of both the test types are the same whether you’re thinking about an Academic or General test, so the pattern for preparation for both will be the same just for these two sections. But for the other two modules i.e reading and writing sections in the IELTS test you need to follow a different approach for both test types. Yet the format of these sections are similar – The reading module in both versions contains 40 questions and on the other hand, the Writing tasks of both test formats are different in terms of content.